Saturday, March 16, 2013

New Toy

Four wheels, two with locking brakes, cast iron body and grates, slide out ash catcher, air vents on either end, temperature gauge, door in the front for adding fuel during cooking, dual grooved cutting boards that are removable - this baby can cook!

When my trusty old Weber's air vents locked from old age and the starter stopped, well, starting, it was time for a change of grill. I contacted the two best grill men I know (and likely the two best in the world, by the way), Chilebrown and Dr. Biggles, for their advice about new grills.  I was on the fence between the heart-stoppingly expensive-but-very-cool Big Green Egg and a new Weber to replace the old. 

Chilebrown's advice was to get new spare parts for the old Weber and make do.  He didn't realize that neither My Beloved nor myself are handy with tools.  Dr. Biggles launched happily into research mode and started sending me info about this grill and that, with helpful suggestions about what to look for. After a couple of weeks, he found the one pictured above - it made him drool.  Any grill that makes Dr. Biggles drool is fine by me.

It was even on sale. What more can I say?

I have washed and oiled the grates in preparation for the first burn. Dr. B suggested not cooking on it until it has been through one burn cycle to set the oil and make the grates more or less "non-stick."  I am ready for the grilling season.

My thanks to my two mentors, especially the good Dr. Biggles. When I get good at cooking on my new toy, I will invite you both over for some meaty fun.

16 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Yum, I can taste those succulent meats already. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

Sweet!! I be jealous now :)

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger Toons said...

That is one very nice looking cooker!

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, oh oh! Really nice.

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

You can't go wrong with advice from those two grill masters. I am looking forward to further reports!

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Me again. Cranky is totally SMITTEN with your new rig. Can you tell me its name or model number? And if it's still on sale, where you bought it.
Dueling grilling, baby!

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, I can hardly wait!

Greg, I knew I would be the envy of all my blogging friends.

Toons, beauty is as beauty does - can't wait to try it out!

Nancy, yes, it's good to have friends in high places in the barbecuing world.

Cookiecrumb, it's ginormous - about half of it would be plenty for us, but it will be great at a grill party. It's called a Char-Broil 940X. We got ours (the floor model) at OSH when they were having a no-tax weekend - score!

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Thanks, Zoom. It is in the hizzle! Weighs three mother freaking tons.

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, yes, two hefty men delivered it and it was well worth paying the delivery charge. The lid is VERY heavy - you should try lifting it in the store before you buy - but that's a good thing as it keeps the heat and the smoke in. The lid is no heavier than the lid of the Big Green Egg, however. I can do it easily enough.

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, it's also larger than it looks in the picture - it's really big. But it takes up no more room than our old Weber-in-a-table did and it wheels easily.

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger meathenge said...

HOOYAH !!! I had that grill years ago, mines was made in 1971. It finally drew its last breath maybe 8 years ago. To date, I have never used or owned any grill before or after that grill that came anywhere close to being that awesome in every imaginable way. Heck, I used to use firewood to cook over or even indirectly in that rig! Grilling on cast iron? A dream come true. I wanted that grill more than anything, but could not afford. So, when Zoomie requested some needed info, this is what I presented. xo, Biggles

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

No, we HAVE it. Now! On the patio. Cranky COINCIDENTALLY bought a hand truck (dolly) this morning, or it would still be in the Subaru. Can't wait to try it.
Big thanks to Biggles for the research. Biggety Hooyah.

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Boggles, we are fin your debt. I did the "seasoning" this afternoon, so we are good to go.

Cookiecrumb and Cranky, congrats! And Bon Appetite!

Saturday, March 16, 2013  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Congrats on the purchase of a fine and fancy new BBQ rig. Your new barbeque will give you years of fun and delicious meals. I told Ms. Goofy about your purchase and about how happy you are. Maybe she will get the hint.

Sunday, March 17, 2013  
Blogger meathenge said...

Am so excited! Living my life through you guys is working out quite well. I've got a load of ball-tip beef roast steaks waiting for the grill later today. All good. xo, Biggles

Sunday, March 17, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, thank you for your kind thoughts!

Meathenge, your keen barbecue knowledge was great for us all! I'm grilling today, too. Results here on Zoomie Station, perhaps tomorrow.

Sunday, March 17, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home