Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Small Satisfaction

One of the pleasant little surprises of spending time in North Carolina was getting to try Duke's mayonnaise. Somewhere among my blogging friends, I had read about Duke's but never tried it as it is hard to find on the Left Coast. So I was tickled to open my sister's pantry and find a jar of it there - my chance to try it!

You might say "mayo is mayo, who cares?" but to me mayonnaise is an important ingredient. I like Best Foods (called Hellman's in the east) for it's little fillip of lemon flavor. And don't get me started on Miracle Whip or similar "spreads" - sickly sweet and cloying, they don't deserve the label of "mayonnaise." They are something else entirely, and they are evil.

The Duke's was surprisingly different than Best Foods - not better, or worse, just different. To me, it tastes more like homemade mayo, the kind you make with olive oil. The label didn't boast any olive oil; it was made with soybean oil. 

If pressed, I'd have to admit that I'm a creature of habit and Best Foods/Hellman's would still be my choice, but I'm pleased to have had the chance to taste and compare. There's an old saying, "Curiosity killed the cat," and a corollary, "but satisfaction brought him back." Like the cat, I'm glad to have had my curiosity satisfied.

11 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Hah! I bought Cranky a jar of Duke's for Christmas (Amazon), and we love it more than Best Foods, which I've always defended -- being too lazy to make my own mayo most times.

And please, people who can't abide mayonnaise because it's white and gooey (reminds you of pus, amirite?), shut up.

Sunday, February 24, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I'm not surprised that you prefer Duke's - to me, it tasted more like authentic mayonnaise. Great idea for a Christmas gift. :-)

Sunday, February 24, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

I'm glad there are still regional foods that exist. I'm with you on Best Foods although some of the best potato salad I ever had was made with Miracle Whip. I hear some hipsters touting Kewpie Mayo from Japan. It has (gasp!) MSG in it.

Monday, February 25, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, hard to believe that potato salad with MW would be good, but I believe you if you say so. :-D I think I'll pass on the Kewpie.

Monday, February 25, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

We have a jar of Kewpie. Haven't opened it yet. Wasn't aware it was hipster. Just wanted to squirt some on okonomiyaki.

Monday, February 25, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, as usual, you and Cranky are on the vanguard. I wish you'd write about the Kewpie once you have tasted it. I still miss your blog.

Monday, February 25, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I have never heard of Kewpie mayo but I just made some Wsasabi/ Siracha mayo by the mix and taste method. It's AWESOME on potato salad. And let me second Zoomie's comment to CookieCrumb - I miss your blog.

Monday, February 25, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, you really like spicy things, don't you? That combination sounds good to me, but it would have to be very mild.

How do we inspire Cookiecrumb to start writing again?

Monday, February 25, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

The potato salad my step mom made had the main components of taters, miracle whip and dried onion flakes. Sounds horrible but... cookiecrumb- the hipsters I referred to were bearded, silly hat wearing Portlandia types. OK... I am a closet hipster! Blog more please I'll beg.:)

Tuesday, February 26, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Jeez, peeps! Tears in my eyes. Even my husband wants me to blog again, and with nearly a year away from doing any... I might! I just need a new camera or something. Jeez, such dear people.

PS: I think MW would make a good cole slaw, y'know, because it's sweet. Although I could be dead wrong, because I hate MW.

Wow, Zoomie, a post on mayonnaise! And all these responses. Cool.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, sounds weird but sometimes weird stuff really does taste best.

Cookiecrumb, your loyal following is out here, just awaiting your return. Same goes for Cranky, but I have less hope that he will resume.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home