Thursday, February 28, 2013

Welcome Home

Doesn't this care package just shout, "CALIFORNIA!" to you?

A day or two after I returned from North Carolina, this package arrived from our friend Jeanne in SOCA. Her mother has a huge Fuerte avocado tree and she herself has oranges, Meyer lemons and limes in her yard - and they all produce 'way too much for two ladies, so they sometimes box up the extras and send them via USPS to us.

I can't think of a better way to be welcomed back to California. Well, maybe that's not quite true - Cora's wagging tail and My Beloved's kisses come higher on the list of delightful welcomes, but this comes in a very close third.

I supremed one of the oranges to make a citrus-and-avocado salad the first night it arrived. Very similar to grapefruit-and-avocado, only a little sweeter. I drizzled both with a little balsamic vinaigrette and that's all that was needed. Ingredients so fresh and beautiful don't need a lot of fussing.

It was a little disorienting to leave cold and light snow in the morning and be back in 50 degree weather by evening, to say nothing of the jet lag. But, as soon as I opened this box, I knew I was truly home.


7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

What a wonderful welcome home. My brain has a hard time remembering that winter is prime citrus time. The fruit looks so summery.Meyer lemons are my favorite.

Thursday, February 28, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, yes, Meyers are the best. I have quite a few now - will need to share some with my neighbors as they don't keep well.

Thursday, February 28, 2013  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

You are very lucky! I have to say, avocados and meyer lemons are two of my favorite things on the planet. Does your friend need my address? ;)

Friday, March 01, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hungry Dog, I guess it's selfish of me to say so, but why would I direct any of these yummies away from myself? :-D

Friday, March 01, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

What a lovely welcome back home - I can just imagine how exhausted you must me. I went through this 2 years ago when my sister and I moved my mother into a assisted living facility. Keep all that California Vitamin C and goodness for yourself! Build up your strenght so that you can get out and enjoy all that the Bay Area has to offer. Vermmer at the de Young, Terracotta Warriors at the Asian and Gordon Parks at Jenkins Johnson in downtown SF. That's just scratching the surface!

Saturday, March 02, 2013  
Blogger Diane said...

oh a wonderful welcome home. so fresh and healthy and sunshiny too!

Saturday, March 02, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, those are all shows I hope to get to very soon! We are lucky here to have so much beautiful visual art.

Diane, yes, I couldn't have asked for better!

Sunday, March 03, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home