Sunday, June 17, 2012

Niçoise Season

It's the season again for cold, composed salads - my favorites! And this year, thanks to the steeping technique, I had absolutely perfect salmon to enjoy in my first Salade Niçoise of the year.  

I had purchased two kinds of fresh fish last week, only to have life intervene in my plans, so I didn't use them as soon as I thought I would. When I was starting to feel uneasy about how long they had been in the fridge, I happened upon the recipe for steeping and was saved.

I steeped the halibut for dinner that very night. I steeped the salmon and chilled it overnight for use the next day. Such a win-win, as I only cooked once but we ate like kings twice.

The only mistake I made was discarding the steeping liquid before I realized I had just thrown away a lovely, delicate fish stock. Well, phooey!  But there will be other steepings and next time I'll be smarter.

Niçoise Vinaigrette for the potato salad portion of Salade Niçoise.

3 Tablespoons fresh, bright olive oil
1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice (you can also use white wine vinegar)
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard (I prefer Edmond Fallot brand)
1 healthy pinch of Herbes de Provence

4 medium sized red skin potatoes, boiled, cooled and sliced.

In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice and mustard together with Herbes de Provence until well blended. Drizzle in the olive oil a little a time, whisking like mad, until all the oil is incorporated into the sauce. The sauce should taste sharper than you want the finished potato salad to taste - the spuds will gentle it down - so taste and add more lemon juice if it seems too bland. Add salt and pepper to taste but be careful with the salt - the mustard will be fairly salty so you may not need too much.

Pour over sliced potatoes and toss gently to mix and coat each slice.


Anonymous Evil Empress said...

Looks delicious - exactly what I feel like eating!

Sunday, June 17, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evil Empress - I'm going to try steeping chicken breasts today so I'll let you know how they turn out.

Monday, June 18, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home