Friday, June 15, 2012

Steeping, Volume 2


My experiment with steeping salmon was such a hit that I tried it with halibut, too. Also perfectly cooked. The halibut was a little thicker, so I added a few more minutes to the steeping time for a lovely result.


I topped the fish with a little salsa that I have used for years. It originated at epicurious.com, using swordfish, but I can't in all conscience eat what used to be my favorite fish any more, so instead I use it over halibut. It's very light and spring-y, perfect for this season when fresh peas are also available.


Mint-Cucumber Salsa


3/4 cup diced seeded peeled cucumber
6 Tbs. chopped red onion
3 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
1Tbs. white wine vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar (I often use a bit less)

Combine cucumber, onion, mint, vinegar, 1-1/2 tsps oil and sugar in a medium bowl; toss to blend. Season with salt and pepper (Can be made two hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)




7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Nice dish-splendid photo.

Friday, June 15, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

Nice way to do halibut, that can be tricky to get it cooked through but not rubbery.

Friday, June 15, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, thanks, I thought the colors were cool in the photo.

Hungry Dog, exactly! That's why I like this gentle technique for cooking fish.

Friday, June 15, 2012  
Blogger Diane said...

Yum, I'm going to try this!

Saturday, June 16, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, let me know what you thought once you have tried it.

Saturday, June 16, 2012  
Blogger Diane said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sunday, July 01, 2012  
Blogger Diane said...

Finally, tried the steeping and your fresh, summer salsa tonight, using halibut. Lovely! Perfect on a hot summer night. I linked to your blog for the recipes. http://dianalouisa.blogspot.com/2012/07/summertime-and-halfway.html

(FYI, I deleted my earlier version of this comment so I could add the link!)

Sunday, July 01, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home