Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Steeping


While I was researching the use of my new bamboo steamer, I came across a new-to-me Chinese technique for cooking fish or chicken - steeping. The only steeping I had previously heard of was either tea bags in hot water or people relaxing in bath tubs.


Intrigued, I followed the recipe adding leeks, lemon slices and carrot tops as flavoring to a large pot of water (you can use any veggies you like to flavor the water - I just happened to have these in the fridge), brought it to a rolling boil, moved the pot off the heat, and slipped in a couple of salmon steaks. 


The directions said to be sure to cover the fish by at least 1 inch with the steeping liquid and to steep the fish for 10 minutes per inch of thickness.


The steaks steeped for just 10 minutes before I fished them out, removed the skins and bones (which slipped right out). That's literally all there was to it. The fish was perfectly cooked, just exactly right - separating beautifully along the muscle lines but still moist and delicate. Salmon can become sadly grainy when overcooked - this was succulent and smooth on the tongue.


This is my new go-to way to cook fish and I can't wait to try it with chicken breasts for a salad; I'm sure they will be tender and juicy. Big success!  Try it, I think you'll be impressed by the good things that happen to steeped tea bags, people in deep, hot tubs, and food.







6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

At first I read the post title as sleeping. :) silly me. Sounds like a delicious experiment.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Check out recipes for drunken chicken. They are very similar and equally delicious.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Nice! I know how it comes out (I've steeped fish before) -- silky and moist. Good technique.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Oh Zoomie, I think we had this conversation before about the image.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

This is a great way to ensure perfectly cooked fish. And as we can all agree, overcooked fish is the worst!

I'm so behind with all your posts, Zoomie...you've been very prolific these last few weeks!

Thursday, June 14, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, one of the big successes of this year, culinarily.

Nancy, will do. Thanks for the tip.

Cookiecrump, shoulda known it would be old hat to you, but perhaps a good reminder anyway.

Chilebrown, what? You don't like my artful shot of fish through cloudy water? :-)

Hungry Dog, I've had a lot to write about, sadly. It has been a crazy month so far. I'm ready for an upswing.

Thursday, June 14, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home