Friday, July 2, 2010

Something Fishy

I have no idea why this dish seemed appealing to me - fish on pasta? First I read about it when Mark Bittman made it. I thought, "Huh, now that sounds interesting." Then, I happened across a similar recipe on epicurious.com. I do like canned sardines - they are one of my guilty pleasures - but it somehow didn't seem like something I'd usually make.

However, I was intrigued enough to try it. Bittman adds capers to his, where epicurious.com relies simply on garlic and fresh parsley to flavor their version. Since I didn't have capers in the house... yeah, epicurious.com won.

This is very simple, fishy fare. All you do is drain a little oil from the can of sardines packed in olive oil (I found a brand of local, wild caught ones) and add to that some plain olive oil in which you sauté a hefty amount of garlic. When the garlic is soft, you add a cup and a half of dry white wine and boil it down by half to make a sauce, toss in the fresh parsley off the heat, add the pasta to the sauce for a few minutes before plating, split the fillets over the mound of pasta (they called for linguine; I had vermicelli) and pour over rest of the sauce. Serve with lemon wedges. One can of sardines, a tablespoon of olive oil, four cloves of garlic, 1-1/2 cups white wine, 1 cup chopped Italian parsley, a handful of pasta - that's it.

Next time I make this, as I will surely do, I will grate just a little Parmesano Reggiano over the pasta before placing the fillets. While it was good and hearty and I loved the fresh greenness of the parsley playing off the oily fish, it lacked a little je ne sais quoi that I think it needed. Still, it was interesting, in a fishy sort of way.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

OK! You tell me the name of these local, wild, canned sardines (and maybe where you found them), and I will give this a try!

Friday, July 02, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, the brand name is Wild Planet and I got them at Andronico's in Albany. They are packed in EVOO and the package assures me that they are sustainably caught along the CA coast.

Friday, July 02, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Thanks! We have an Astronomico's in San Anselmo.

Friday, July 02, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home