Friday, July 9, 2010

Clucking

Now, don't get me wrong - I love chicken - but sometimes I think if I have another roasted chicken, I'll start clucking. Growing feathers. Laying eggs. Eating bugs.

Clearly, I needed a change of pace from my usual oven-roasted bird. Luckily, we've been blessed with great barbecuing weather recently and, when I was cleaning out the garage, I noticed that we still have a few cedar planks left from the huge bundle we bought years ago.

Planked chicken. Perfect! It needed nothing more than a light bath in olive oil and a couple of planks underneath over gray coals with red centers. Fifty minutes later, I lifted it off the now-charred plank, plunked it on a cutting board and called My Beloved to dinner.

If you've never tried planking, this is your year! Go here for some basic instructions. It's truly a great way to cook any number of delicious meats on the grill. Whatever you plank will have a distinctly smoky flavor and retain its moisture. A bonus - no oven to clean - just toss the planks and dust off your hands. And no need to worry about pecking order.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

ARRRR- You'll be having me walk the plank matey??

Friday, July 09, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I hate to say this but this reminds me of an old family joke about how you eat squirrel. You catch the squirrel, do all the usual things, and nail it to a plank for three days. After three days, you throw away the squirrel and eat the plank.
OK - Old and LAME family joke. I'm sure your chicken is much better and when my friends, who have a grill, are looking for a recipe, I will be sure to suggest this.

Friday, July 09, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Totally going to give planking a go just as soon as it warms up - beautiful looking bird you've got there!

Friday, July 09, 2010  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

So, now I have to bring cedar planks back in my suitcase....
I love it when the customs guys want to have a look....Crazy American lady with a suitcase full of green chilis, Jolly Ranchers and wood.
Your chicken looks well worth squawking about!

Saturday, July 10, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, yes, these are direct orders from the poopdeck.

Nancy, I've heard that joke about rabbits and shad, too. It is indeed a hoary old chestnut. :-)

Ms Mouse, at last! A convert! I promise you'll be pleased.

KatieZ, the looks on their faces must be classic! Well worth toting a bunch of wood around.

Saturday, July 10, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home