Monday, March 14, 2016

There's Still Time!


Last Friday, My Beloved and I made our annual trek to Costco to cash in his rebate check from his Costco credit card. It's always a fun trip (despite being there on a Friday when even the pouring rain and howling winds didn't discourage anyone from going - the place was packed!), where we marvel at the sizes of things and wonder how anyone could ever use up a gallon of mayo or two dozen bunches of asparagus before the darn things spoil!  We always check out the veggie department and consider the fancy meats (and lately they have had organic options in both those departments!), but we usually don't buy much due to lack of freezer space and the fact that we are only two. Big eaters, I will concede, but really just two.

We do get a cube each of TP and paper towels, and sometimes another cube of facial tissues or a block of a dozen bars of soap, but those things actually can last us the better part of a year, so we have to think carefully about garage space before making such purchases. The prices are always tempting but our storage space is always limited.

This time, it was the weekend just before St. Patrick's Day. Being half Irish in blood and wholly Irish in attitude, I always celebrate the saint's day with gusto. When I happened upon the display of vacuum-sealed corned beef, my heart leapt in my breast and I was drawn over, dodging giant grocery carts steered either by children who weren't paying attention or little old ladies who weren't paying attention, to the huge boxes filled to overflowing with corned beef briskets and rounds spilling out as from a cornucopia.

Once again, most of the offerings were 'way too much for two people to eat unless they were determined to finish it off even if it took a week. Since My Beloved doesn't really like to eat the same thing seven days in a row (nor do I, if truth be told), I was disappointed until I spied one very small package and pounced upon it with a glad cry.

It was corned beef alright, but a small one of about two pounds. Perfect!  Enough for St. Patrick'd Day dinner and a day or two of sandwiches, but no more. What's more, the label stated that this was American Kobe beef round from Snake River Farms in Idaho. I know nothing about SRFs, but I had heard from meat-loving friends that American Kobe beef is really good, so I was psyched.

I had read on the interwebs about champ, too, an Irish dish that combines finely chopped green onions and parsley into boiled potatoes that have been mashed with butter and cream. My Irish heart sang as I read that recipe. I left the skin on my potato (just one is enough for us both) and mashed it right in, which was a very good choice. And, as if that wasn't enough, I had a quarter of a head of cabbage to slice thinly and sauté until limp and sweet and just a little browned. I can't think of a more Irish meal than corned beef and cabbage with champ.

I was so eager to try it that I didn't even wait for St. Patrick's Day - I cooked it three days ahead and you will be glad I did because there is still time for you to rush right over to Costco and snag your own!  

So, drum roll, please...

This was easily the best corned beef I have ever or will ever eat. It cooked in half the time of a big roast, either brisket or round, and the only word to describe the meltingly tender slices that emerged from the scented water is "succulent." 

Oh. My. Heavens. 

We both did that little, muted moaning thing that people do when what hits their tongues is too good to describe, shaking our heads in disbelief at the pleasure. I'm sure the texture and flavor have a lot to do with the amount of fat marbled into the meat but my ancestral genes recognize and respond with alacrity.

My only question now is - if I brave Costco again tomorrow, will I be able to score another one?



8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sure they will have another small one … Or you could get a big one, cut in in half and freeze the other half. It's not that big is it? PS Sounds delicious and I'm going today.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016  
Blogger Greg said...

Sounds so good! St. Pats day is tough cooking for two. My last child at home has turned vegetarian. I bought a smaller beef and will share with our single friend across the street. I must have my corned beef!

Wednesday, March 16, 2016  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I haven't had corned beef (which I love) since we left the US - never saw it in Ireland.....
As to Costco - I've been in them in the US and seen the gallon jars of mayo, with a teaspoon missing and 2 years past it's use by date in too many family fridges to wish for one here.

Thursday, March 17, 2016  
Blogger Zoomie said...

This was both delish and the right size - win/win😀

Friday, March 18, 2016  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, yes, it is imperative!

Friday, March 18, 2016  
Blogger Unknown said...

I grilled my Corned beef and it is now sandwich material for pastrami and swiss delights!!

Friday, March 18, 2016  
Blogger Zoomie said...

I'm with you - too much volume for two people, unless you can share with the neighbors.

Friday, March 18, 2016  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Sounds yummy. We used our crockpot with good results, and enjoyed a day of sandwiches, too.

Friday, March 18, 2016  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home