Sunday, January 31, 2016

Aspens


I must have taken 30 pictures of aspen trees in the sunlight. In the fall, they are breathtaking with their bright yellow coins shivering in the warm wind. Around every turn on the road to Aspen, Colorado we saw slender trees decked in gold in contrast to the dark conifers around them. Stunned by their beauty, I made My Beloved stop the car a zillion times while I attempted once again to take the perfect aspen picture. I tried and tried, but never really captured the glory of sunlight through aspen leaves.



My eyes perceived the color as a much brighter and clearer yellow than my photos convey. In the pictures, the color looks golden, but in reality they capture the light as if they are literally lit from within, as bright as good butter. 



Whole dark mountainsides are streaked with glowing groves of aspens, the ones at the lower elevations finishing their color first, while the higher ones clung longer to their leaves, netting the last long rays of sunlight before winter dormancy.

We got to Aspen late in the day and enjoyed walking around the town, poking our noses into the tony shops and staying at a very nice small hotel in that chic little town, but when I think of Colorado, the picture in my mind will always be of the aspens rather than Aspen.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

THNX for the travelog...

Sunday, January 31, 2016  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Blogger and I had a disagreement so I don't know if my comment made it...
I said: I remember the first time I saw aspens - I was in awe. They are so gorgeous. I miss all the colors here.... Very few trees change and they are pale in comparison to what we had in the Midwest. On the other hand - I rather like the winter green rather than the winter white. ;-)

Saturday, February 13, 2016  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hi, Katie We have much the same dilemma here, milder winters but less fall color. Aspens are simply amazing.

Monday, February 15, 2016  
Blogger Diane said...

Your photos are lovely! And I love your vivid description of the light making the aspen leaves transparent.

Sunday, February 28, 2016  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home