Friday, August 22, 2014

Best. Chicken Breast. Ever.


If this seemingly endless remodel has taught me anything, it is how much I value setting a nice table. I used to love using my real silver and my great-grandmother's china when I had a dinner party. Even every day meals called for nice china and decorative flatware, with cloth napkins and pretty placemats. Even a crummy day can be at least partly rescued by sitting down to an attractively presented place setting. 

I miss those days!

Paper plates are all very well at picnics and barbecues, but I miss having a plate stiff enough to carry across the room without risk of collapse and one that doesn't leak through to the oilcloth table covering at each meal. And, speaking of oilcloth. Okay, whatever I thought was charming about that concept has diminished over the months. Yes, you can wipe it off with just water, but I keep imagining the growing colony of bacteria that are thriving between the threads. It's better than a bare table top (the table top being a tired glass garden furniture-come-indoors-for-the-meantime one), but only just barely.

Okay, enough bitching. 

As it turns out, a good meal still tastes good, even served on paper. And, even with my limited cooking options, I can occasionally turn out a really kick-ass meal, such as the one we enjoyed last Friday evening. I made Jamie Oliver's chicken breast dish, the one you bash with the bottom of a frying pan to flatten. I've talked about it before on this blog, so I'll content myself with a link to the recipe. It's pretty quick, it's killer-delicious (I'm pretty sure his Italian wife came up with this one), and it has pretentions to elegance, something I am missing just now. 

And bashing those chicken breasts goes a long way toward releasing the frustrations caused by collapsing paper plates.

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Big fan of Jamie! Do you watch his show on Saturday mornings? I have my on auto record.

Friday, August 22, 2014  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I hope the remodeling is over soon - I sense signs of fatigue across the bay.

Still, you carry on with delicious meals and wonderful posts. One day soon, you will be able to pull out your fine china and dine in yoru gloriously remodeled new place.

Friday, August 22, 2014  
Blogger Diane said...

I am right with you on enjoying a well-designed table setting with just the right dishes, flatware, and glassware to make the meal special. I do look forward to seeing your first post-renovation meal. I'm sure it will be splendid!

Saturday, August 23, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I didn't know he had a show on Saturdays. We record the 15 minute meal series, but I went looking and there's one on this coming Thursday, too. Same channel. Thanks for sending me to find it!

Nancy, boy howdy!, do we ever hope it ends soon, too! However, the end _appears_ to be in sight. Thanks for your concern.

Diane, I'm hoping to bust out all the stops - crystal, fine china, the works! :-)

Sunday, August 24, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home