Monday, March 17, 2014

Improper Impromptu Chili

A couple of days ago, I was telling you about my Margaritas. I was making them whilst my chili dinner was cooking. Now, purists will tell you that proper chili does not have meat in it - and it certainly doesn't have pork in it! - but I beg to differ.  These days, when I go to the interwebs for an idea, it's the inspiration I'm looking for rather than a recipe.

I was inspired by the idea of using leftover mustarded pork shoulder roast to make chili.  As soon as I read the title, I was off and running.

This chili was all about layering flavors into the pot. It began with bacon drippings and ended with a splash of hot sauce at the table, and in between I just kept adding flavors until it tasted right. Onions sautéed in the bacon fat for that sweet/smoky base. Chunky pork shreds added when the onion had softened, half a bottle of some tomato salsa/spagetti/whatever sauce. Chipotle hot sauce, about 1/4 cup? A handful of frozen corn. A can of black beans.  It all bubbled together for about an hour while we consumed our Margaritas and walked the dog. 

Served in wide bowls, I garnished with a sprig of cilantro and crumbled a little cheese over the top. I didn't have Mexican cheese, so I used good old sharp cheddar.

My Beloved likes chili well enough, but it's not normally a dish he looks forward to. This one, however, got a gratifying nod of the head and a scraped-clean bowl, so I know it was a hit, proper or not.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I think you had me at bacon and onions! :)

Monday, March 17, 2014  
Blogger Three Dogs BBQ said...

Chili most certainly has meat. That sounds great by the way. Love the creativity.

Monday, March 17, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, ha! Yes, those are always grabbers!

Three Dogs, thanks for the support. I like chili with meat, too.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home