Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Easy Ersatz Mexican

I'm sure you know by now that I'm a great believer in using up everything in the fridge before it grows hair and even I won't touch it. My mother taught me the parsimony part - the part she didn't get was how to use it up before it became a science experiment. Whenever I visited her in her later years, I would throw away one cure for a dread disease a day so she wouldn't notice they were going until her fridge was free of fuzzy items. No kidding - that woman would save two tablespoons of peas, but then never use them. To this day, I shake my head when I think about the contents of her fridge.

So, when my own fridge was full of this and that, I knew it was time to make them into something before the inevitability of earthy decay became a reality.  I had a hunk of leftover mustard-glazed pork shoulder that had been slow roasted until it was falling apart (I didn't tell you about it because it was unremarkable), a little cup of white refried beans and another of Spanish rice from our last outing to Las Camelias (still the Bay area's best Mexican restaurant), and a half a jar of Newman's Own salsa. Surely I could make something good out of that.

Tortillas are my friend. I found a package of those, too, so spread them out, topped them with shreds of pork, strips of string cheese, a rattle of the rice and a smear of the beans, adding fresh chopped onion and green onions before rolling them up and turning them seam-side down.  I poured the jar of salsa over all of the rolled "burritos" and slid them into a medium oven until they were nice and hot.

I made four, thinking we'd eat them all but they were so hearty that I had two left. They are in the fridge. And you know what can happen in there...

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I fear that I suffer from the same symdrome. I am trying to make smaller and smaller meals to avoid the leftovers which turn into green stuff. So far, I can't say that I have been that successful. Plus I don't eat like I used to.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014  
Anonymous jann said...

We know our parents came from the same line. My mom would save left over soggy salad along with your noted peas and things. Glad you are putting those leftovers to good use.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014  
Blogger Greg said...

tortillas are you friend! Well said! Little vessels to shovel bits of this and that into mouths.I hate to throw out food. A tortilla and some sauce and cheese and Bob's your uncle!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, buy tortillas - they will encompass any of your leftovers and make them delicious with a little hot sauce. :-)

Jann, glad to hear my Mom wasn't the only crazy lady in the family. :-)

Greg, amen to that! Bob's your delicious uncle!

Thursday, March 13, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home