Sunday, March 24, 2013

For Jim, Cookiecrumb, and Cassie

I have at least three friends who were involved in the preparation of this lunch. Jim Sartain, who brought me the sourdough starter for the waffle, Cookiecrumb who urged me to try savory waffle toppings, and Cassie who sold me the organic, free-range egg. This blogging thing is really great - where else can you find people knowledgeable in so many ways?

I made the waffles according to Jim's recipe, photocopied so many times that it looks downright grainy.  It still makes a good, crisp waffle, however. I think it was Cookiecrumb who suggested mushrooms on waffles, so I sautéed some and added their bluesy funk. And Cassie's hens, who took the winter off, are now laying in fine style. If you live in the East Bay, it's worth a trip to Cassie's to buy her eggs. Only $6 a dozen, compared to the $8 or $9 you'd pay at Astronomico's.

Plated together and drizzled with a tad of Jim's sweet-hot Sartain's Menu sauce, it made for an interesting and unique lunch. The lively spice of the sauce was tamed a bit by the rich yolk of the poached egg, the mushrooms added their own dark, earthy flavor, and the slight tang of the crisp sourdough waffle set the whole thing off.

So, hats off to my three blogging pals, and thanks for the suggestions!

Jim's Sourdough Waffles
1-1/2 cups sourdough starter
l egg
4 Tablespoons cooking oil
1/4 cup instant dry milk or evaporated milk (I used evaporated as I couldn't find dry)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons sugar

Beat sourdough starter, egg, oil and milk together thoroughly. Combine dry ingredients and blend together until they are smooth and no lumps of baking soda remain. Sprinkle evenly over the batter and fold in gently. Give the batter a few minutes' rest, then bake in a lightly oiled waffle iron until the steaming stops or becomes very light.

We have had them with maple syrup and butter and they were great - very crisp. Or top as you wish.


9 Comments:

Blogger Toons said...

Well if that don't look just good enough to eat! I'm glad you could use it.

Sunday, March 24, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Sourdough waffles for dinner? Sounds lovely- my grandmother used to make a chicken/mushroom cream sauce and pour it over her waffles. She had an ancient waffle iron that cooked up the most crisp waffles - I have never found one that's as good. Bet you are going to have a lot of fun with that sourdough starter and I am looking forward to reading about your experiments.

Sunday, March 24, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ohmahgooness! I'm tickled to death. It looks fanTARstic! Yay, Zoomie. I bet you'll try this again.

Sunday, March 24, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Toons, thanks, again! I saved a little of the starter for another meal - who knows what I'll try next!

Nancy, hmmm, chicken & mushrooms sounds good! My waffle iron is like your grandmother's - old faithful!

Cookiecrumb, I'm going to try just sautéed mushrooms next time, a big pile of mixed kinds, I think.

Monday, March 25, 2013  
Blogger Toons said...

Hey Zoomie, remember 8 oz (by weight) of starter, water and flour every couple of days and the starter will last for a long time.If you should need/want more later just say the word, Cheers

Monday, March 25, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

A masterpiece!

Monday, March 25, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Toons, thanks for the reminder. I will go feed it now.

Greg, yes, thanks to a little help from my friends. :-)

Monday, March 25, 2013  
Blogger LeeLee said...

This looks delish.

Monday, March 25, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

LeeLee, welcome! Enjoyed a glimpse of your blog, too.

Monday, March 25, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home