Monday, March 2, 2015

Burying Hearts

One of the best things I received for my birthday was a little packet of seeds embedded in paper hearts dyed pink, red, and white. My birthday falls on Valentine's Day, so I often get heart-shaped goodies. It's a good birthday to have; one gets lots of positive attention.

These are flower seeds of some mysterious kind - the packet didn't even give me a hint of what to expect. I keep pots in the corner of my deck and need to refresh them every year or so, so I thought to do it this year with my new Valentine seeds.


I yanked out the old, dried stalks of last year's annuals and troweled the earth, adding some more potting soil and mixing it in with the old. As I dug around in my yellow pot, I found a bulb of some kind - possibly dahlia - and reburied that, hoping for another nice surprise.

I sprinkled the hearts over the soil and added more dirt on top, firming the soil gently and sticking in the low-flow waterer. After sweeping the spot, I arranged them into the corner and flanked them with my Buddha face and my little spirit house where I like to think my garden sprite lives. 

I flooded the pots for this first watering - after this, they will have to make it with minimal water as we are still in a drought.


The packet gave me no information about how long germination would take so I'll be going out daily to look for sprouts. And, really, isn't that the perfect thing to be doing as spring approaches? First, you bury your heart deep in that soil, filled with hope and fertilizer. Then, you check eagerly for sprouts.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Fun stuff, good for you Pamela!

Monday, March 02, 2015  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Whiting, thanks.

Tuesday, March 03, 2015  
Blogger Diane said...

happy birthday, belatedly. love the anticipation of seeds sprouting.

Thursday, March 05, 2015  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, thank you! It was a good birthday and we had a fine time. Glad to read that you are on the mend, and I'm glad you are getting some of that Gma time.

Thursday, March 05, 2015  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

How fun!!!1 Can't wait to see what they are.... Pink and red maybe?

Tuesday, March 10, 2015  
Blogger Zoomie said...

I'm eager, too, Katie. I'll update when I know! :-)

Tuesday, March 10, 2015  
Anonymous Cheese Cake said...

Mysterious seeds, wow!! Eagerly waiting for the blooming hearts :)

Monday, March 16, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home