Monday, July 28, 2014

Not Fig Newtons


Look what's growing in my neighborhood!

I had never seen figs with stripes before moving here; in fact, before moving to California my entire knowledge of figs was encompassed by the term "fig newtons." Now, I like the blue-black mission figs (by the way, Sari made us a divine dessert of roasted mission figs with caramel sauce and ice cream - OMG!) and I wondered if these little beauties, which remind me of miniature hot air balloons about to take off, would be good to eat, too.

So, I looked them up on the interwebs and found that they are called Tiger Stripe or Candy Stripe figs and that they are, indeed, good to eat.

Alas, they are not growing in my garden. 

Guess I need to get up the nerve to ask the owners if they plan to eat them (last year, the fruit just fell to the ground) and, if not, may I have some? 

If I do get brave, I'll let you know how they turned out.  

If not, just make Sari's dessert - the halved mission figs take only 10 minutes to roast in a 450 degree F oven, she zapped a bottled caramel sauce in the microwave for a few seconds, then drizzled it over the figs, and scooped the salted caramel ice cream. Nothing could be easier, nor more delicious. 

And, don't forget the Moscato d'Asti!

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Forage the neighborhood :)

Tuesday, July 29, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

I do that, from time to time, but I'm good about asking first...

Tuesday, July 29, 2014  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

We have 2 figs trees and a gazillion figs, which we don't eat (the dogs love them but have, er, problems when they eat too many) They aren't good - just sweet with no other flavor. We have huge flocks of birds that come every evening and take over the trees - very noisy,

Tuesday, August 05, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Katie, your figs may be a different variety than the ones here. The black Mission figs are full of flavor and funny, crunchy little seeds.

Saturday, August 09, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home